Suggest treatment for redness and bumps at the back of throat

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I noticed little redness and bumps on the back of my throat. What does this look like? A cold maybe?
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most likely bacterial infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query and picture. It looks like bacterial infection ( sore throat). Warm saline gargle or chlorhexidine gargle will be helpful. You can also take cheawable vitamin C. Taking warm fluids like chicken soup with pepper and lemon tea is also good. Take adequate rest also. Over the counter pain killers like paracetamol or ibuprofen can be taken if needed.

What other symptoms you have?
Do you have nasal discharge or congestion?
Do you have fever or body pain?

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 1 hour later
I have also had oral sex recently could that be a result of sore throat? Just a little pain in my neck
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Is that a risky partner you had sex with?

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow up.

Is that a risky partner that you had sex with? In that case better to go for HIV RNA PCR test. When you had the exposure?
Even though it is a non risky partner giving oral sex to females can cause sore throat as a vagina with dysbacteriosis can cause this. In such case you can manage it as usual sore throat.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 29 minutes later
It was with an escort. I set up an appointment to get tested on monday. I hope its just dysbacteriosis and treatable.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If a sex worker then you should get tested.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow up.

If it is escort (sex worker) then you should get tested. I also suggest you to have an antibiotic therapy with azithromycin or doxycycline to clear up any chance of infections like gonorrhea,chlamydia or syphilis. Going to an STD clinic or consultation with your GP is well appreciated.

Hope this may help you. Let me know if anything not clear.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 4 minutes later
Could i get doxycycline over the counter or consult with the pharmacy to get it?
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Doxycycline is a prescription antibiotic.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow up.

Doxycycline is a prescription antibiotic. You wont get it over the counter. You can approach your GP for it.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.