Suggest treatment for reddish urine, feverish, loss of appetite after taking emergency contraceptives

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi, My girlfriend took an emergency contraceptive within 80 hours of intercourse. She has been complaining of reddish urine, its not always reddish but 3-4 times a day. Shes also feeling feverish every evening and is irritable & also has lost her apetite. Her last menstrual cycle was in the first week of July. Kindly advise.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ANy infection needs to be ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Though taking any emergency pill is recommended within 72 hours after possible unprotected sexual intercourse, it is best taken within few hours for good results.

The symptoms of reddish urine, fever, irritability and loss of appetite might be due to an infection. She must consult a doctor and get routine blood and urine tests. Once infection is confirmed she should be given antibiotics. Please ask her to drink lots of fluids and water and visit the washroom regularly.

It is best to use condoms when having sex in the beginning of relationships. This is safe for both the partners.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Thank you for your prompt reply and advice. What urine or blood tests would you recommend?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details of urine and blood tests given below

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
You are welcome and thanks for writing back with an update.

She should be getting a urine routine and culture sensitivity test to know if there is urinary tract infection. A routine blood test may also be done which includes hemoglobin, TC/ DC and ESR.

These tests are sufficient to pick any infections

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek