Suggest treatment for red swollen eye

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Fri, 17 Jun 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: My husband's right eye got swollen today. it gets red with discharge. Although he doesn't feel any pain. He couldn't think of any reason that might have triggered this. He is otherwise ok, a little bit of under the weather with some light coughing. no fever. He ran a 10k yesterday but he runs regularly so no big deal. it was cold and raining yesterday so hence he caught a little bit cold...
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be conjunctivitis.

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
There appears to be some infection. Splash eyes with water. Put antibiotic eye drops like moxifloxacin/ ciprofloxacin 5 to 6 times a day for a period of 10 days. You can get a prescription for these from your local doctor. If the infection appears in the other eye also use drop in left eye as well.
As there no pain, no oral anti inflammatory tablets are needed.
Do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina