Suggest treatment for red rash on the edge of penile gland

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2018
Feb 2018

General Surgeon
Question

I have a red rash on the edge of my penile gland, it has a very sensitive pin hole sized center. I had been in the tropics but now im back in NY and it still presists. It got slightly larger with sex, and does not seem to be going away.

What does this sound like? Fungal?

Thank you
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be balanoposthitis as per history

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Thanks for your query and good photograph.

This lesion has a blister in the center as if it has fluid inside. If this is very sensitive it is possibly herpes. At the same time the glans also shows redness in the photograph you have posted.

This may be a balanoposthitis-The history is more suggestive of. You had been to tropics and you developed there and you have said you are back in NY and still persists. It got sightly larger with sex and does not seem to go away.

I would advise you the following :
Clean the area with plain water 2 to 4 times a day and and keep it dry with a pure cotton cloth or a dryer.
you may apply liquid Povidone Iodine locally or a Metronidazole cream- nothing else at all. We have seen no results with any other solution, cream or ointment. So do not try anything else; if you are using any, please stop it.

A course of antibiotic with Metronidazole orally for 5 to 7 days should help you to get a cure.
Please get your Blood Sugar checked.

A few questions:
Have consulted a GP or a Dermatologist?
Since how many days or weeks have you got this lesion?
Is it painful , painless or just itching?
Does your sex-partner have any problem like white discharge or so?
Is this for the first time you have got this?

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for red rash on the edge of penile gland 31 minutes later
He was a GP, 4 weeks now, got it at the time i was not wearing underware, no itching, only some pain when touched. First time I had any rash down there. Partner didnt have anything that I noticed.

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Balanoposthitis- get blood sugar checked

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback. I would go for the diagnosis of balanoposthitis, as herpes would have healed on its own within a week.

I would advise you to take the treatment as guided and see the results in 7 days.
I would advise the similar treatment for your partner if there in no protected sex.
If still no relief, you may please consult a Venerologist and Dermatologist.