Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for red rash on the edge of penile gland

Feb 2018
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1984
Answered : 16001 Questions

I have a red rash on the edge of my penile gland, it has a very sensitive pin hole sized center. I had been in the tropics but now im back in NY and it still presists. It got slightly larger with sex, and does not seem to be going away.

What does this sound like? Fungal?

Thank you
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be balanoposthitis as per history

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query and good photograph.

This lesion has a blister in the center as if it has fluid inside. If this is very sensitive it is possibly herpes. At the same time the glans also shows redness in the photograph you have posted.

This may be a balanoposthitis-The history is more suggestive of. You had been to tropics and you developed there and you have said you are back in NY and still persists. It got sightly larger with sex and does not seem to go away.

I would advise you the following :
Clean the area with plain water 2 to 4 times a day and and keep it dry with a pure cotton cloth or a dryer.
you may apply liquid Povidone Iodine locally or a Metronidazole cream- nothing else at all. We have seen no results with any other solution, cream or ointment. So do not try anything else; if you are using any, please stop it.

A course of antibiotic with Metronidazole orally for 5 to 7 days should help you to get a cure.
Please get your Blood Sugar checked.

A few questions:
Have consulted a GP or a Dermatologist?
Since how many days or weeks have you got this lesion?
Is it painful , painless or just itching?
Does your sex-partner have any problem like white discharge or so?
Is this for the first time you have got this?
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for red rash on the edge of penile gland 31 minutes later
He was a GP, 4 weeks now, got it at the time i was not wearing underware, no itching, only some pain when touched. First time I had any rash down there. Partner didnt have anything that I noticed.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Balanoposthitis- get blood sugar checked

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback. I would go for the diagnosis of balanoposthitis, as herpes would have healed on its own within a week.

I would advise you to take the treatment as guided and see the results in 7 days.
I would advise the similar treatment for your partner if there in no protected sex.
If still no relief, you may please consult a Venerologist and Dermatologist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor