Suggest treatment for red rash on neckline

Dermatologist
Question
i have a red rash on my neckline seems to be getting worse by day . was only in a small area on saturday. (saturday on the left, today on the right) its a little bit itchy. havent eaten anything out of the norm. dont want to go to walk in service if I dont have to.
Posted Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please provide pictures and details

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I have seen the attached pictures .
I do notice slight white fine scales over your neck.
Have you applied anything over the area or it is like this only?
Also please tell if you had worn any neck ornament recently?
Or any new scarf in neck?
I suspect either an allergic reaction from something that has been in contact with your neck or it can be a fungal infection.
Kindly provide me the above details .
Also please tell if you have been applying anything particularly over the neck .
It would be great if you can click certain good resolution close up images for a better view. You can upload them here on this page .

Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for red rash on neckline 9 minutes later
have not worn anything on my neck, i neber do. its scaly in some parts more closer to my chin than my lower neck . i use clearasil lemon morning blast for my daily facial wash .

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mild fungal infection, should get better

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for the good resolution pictures. You surely have a scaly patch. Now such a scaling over the neck skin folds is a sign of a fungal infection called tinea. Such an infection is quite common over folds of skin especially in hot and humid climates.
You need to apply a topical antifungal cream like canestan cream over the affected areas twice a day for atleast a week. Do not apply any other cream or oil over it.
Avoid rubbing the area.
The infection should heal in a weeks time.

Dr Geetika Paul

ok thank you so much! if it doesnt get better should i go see my doctor?

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See a specialist if it increases

Detailed Answer:
The infection should start responding to treatment within two to three days of starting therapy.
In case however it tends to persist or increase, then you should surely see a nearby specialist since a direct examination is always much better.
Also you should take some oral antihistamine like tablet claritin once a day or benadryl in the adult dosage.

Dr Geetika Paul