Suggest treatment for red rash and itching under the breast

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have red rash, itchiness under each breast. what can I do. I have tried Neosporin and baby powder because I thought it was heat rash. Not working.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may be intertrigo, try topical steroid, topical antifungal combination

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It may be intertrigo which is inflammation in the skin folds. This inflammation can sometimes be associated with fungal and bacteria , fungal infection is more common because of the heat, and moisture.

The neosporin would help with a bacterial infection only.

The baby powder is helpful because it would help to keep the area dry.

Intertrigo is treated by reducing the heat, moisture and friction to the area and treating any infection that may be present
(1)Continue the powder esp if it has in zinc which provides barrier protection - prevents surfaces from rubbing

If it does not then you can obtain a triple paste or desitin which would both contain barrier protection.

(2)use a topical steroid cream to help reduce the inflammation and itching

(3)separate skin folds when possible with linen or cotton material

(4)a topical antifungal may also be helpful since fungal infections are common in these areas
This includes creams such as ketoconazole, miconazole, econazole

May be able to find an antifungal/steroid combination

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Dr. Michelle Gibson James