• question-icon

Suggest treatment for red pimple like spot at the base of penis

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a small red pimple looking thing at the base of my penis. Could this be herpes or is it just a pinple. It doesnt hurt. I tried pop it nothing came out.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The bump is not related to herpes.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the possibility of herpes at the base of penis area.

After analyzing the pictures with best diligence let me reassure you first that overall the eruption has got no similarity with herpes.

To tell you simply regarding herpes: it appears basically as multiple small fluid filled vesicles which remains only for one to two days and then forms an ulcer. The area is quite painful or itchy with variable discomfort. The ulcer remains for few days and then forms a scab. The complete course of illness in herpes is for around 2 weeks.

In your case there is no such kind of similarity with any of the symptoms above. So you can very well relax for the same.

This appears to be simple inflammation of the oil gland and the hair root in relation to the same.

In my patients I generally suggest to apply an antibacterial cream for two times. I prefer Mupirocin or fucidin cream to be applied in a very thin layer. Do not try to touch or pinch or pop the area as can get secondarily infected. In my opinion this would get better in few days of period. If it gets enlarged or painful then you might require a course of antibiotic and pain killers. For that you can meet your treating doctor.

I reassure you again that the area is not related to herpes. So relax and don't worry.

With good health wishes,

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD - Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 5 hours later
What would i watch for in the next few days to be sure? Is it safe to remain sexually active?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Abstain sexual activity for few days.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back and thanks for your further follow up.

I suggest you to kindly observe the size of bump along with redness and pain in the same. If at all you feel any increase in any of above then should meet a a doctor.

I suggest you to please abstain from intercourse for few days. Once the size of area regress then you can resume your normal sexual activity.

I assure you again that the area of concern is not related to herpes. So relax and allay all your fears for the same.

With good health wishes,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist