Suggest treatment for red, itchy rashes due to a delayed reaction to Acyclovir

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 24 May 2018 in Skin Rash
Question: I broke out in a generalized red, itchy rash today . I was on Acyclovir for a week for a Herpes whitlow on my thumb and completed it a week ago. Oild this be a delayed reaction?
I also take Metoprolol and Hctz for hypertension, exemestsne for hex of Breast cancer, and Zyrtec for allergies. I’ve tried Benadryl, but it doesn’t seem to help much.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hives. Oral antihistamine

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Perhaps you have Hives which presents as red, itchy welts - it may be due to the medications (over the past month), allergy to food or food preservatives or a reaction to common infections e.g a viral flu or sometimes to alcohol intake.
I suggest you to take an oral antihistamine e.g Cetrizine 10mg tab or loratadine 10mg (Claritin tab. ) once daily for a few days.
Use a soothing lotion e.g Calamine lotion for the rash.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 28 minutes later
Ok-hopefully it dissipates. Just wondered if it could be delayed from Acyclovir? I’d put it on my allergy list.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
perhaps a fungal infection/ candida intertrigo

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.

I have viewed the Images that you posted along with another question.
This could be a fungal infection/ candidal intertrigo (inflammation of body folds with candida superinfection). It is mainly involving the body folds - armpits and submammary area - which favor growth of the fungus due to occlusion of sweat, heat and humidity.
I suggest you to use an OTC topical antifungal e.g clotrimazole 1% cream, twice daily. You may continue with Zyrtec tab (it is cetrizine!)