Suggest treatment for red itchy lumps in the thigh while on Neosporin

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am 71. In the past month I began getting red bumps on my thigh and now my back. It gets inflamed around the red bump and itches like mad. I went to a skin doctor, she said it was bug bites. It isn't. It started at the location where she took off a mole/birthmark on my leg but not sure that is related. It is spreading to different parts of my body - my back. I started putting peroxide on it - white spots appear. I rub it down with apple cider vinegar it burns but stops itching and then I use neosporin. It stops itching for about 4 hours. Then it starts up again. Never had anything like this but it isn't bug bites.
Thank you. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please upload an image

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Health care magic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concern. I would request you to upload an image of the rashes. Please do not use peroxide. Take cetirizine once daily for the next few days and that should take care of the itchiness.

I will await your response and based on it I will guide you further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 hours later
The white spots are from the peroxide on the uploaded picture. The picture is my back.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stop applying peroxide.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Sorry for not being able to respond faster.

I have checked the attached image. Immediately stop using peroxide. Continue taking cetirizine. Apply some emollient or moisturizer like aloe vera lotion or calamine lotion.

You need to see a dermatologist. There is a likelihood of it being due to scabies. It needs a careful clinical examination and correlation.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 6 hours later
Thank you - will do as you advise. One final question, why do doctors discourage using peroxide on this type of thing? Earlier in my life another doctor had told me not to use peroxide. I have been basically healthy and had forgotten about it until you told me. Just curious.

Thank you for your help.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Mechanism explained

Detailed Answer:
Peroxide causes oxidative damage to tissues and basically kills it. In case there is a slough forming over an wound, peroxide is put over it as the slough needs to be cleared (killed off). But that is not the case here. Thus applying peroxide is doing damage where the damage is not called for.

Dynamites are used to make roads through hills. But if you use them over a habitable area, the entire thing will land in a mess. That is what is happening here.

I hope I have been able to clarify. Feel free to write back in case of further queries.