Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

192 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for red itchy bump at navel piercing area

Answered by
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2012

Answered : 3614 Questions

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi I got a belly buttin piercing about a year ago. I changed the jewlery about a month or so it has developed a red itchy bumps around and inside my belly button ring and also it has developed a volcano looking skin at the exit of the belly button ring.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Local wound care advised, seek dermatologist

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
Piercing resulting in complications is very common and every second person gets such complication. these are the local complications. Following things need to be done
wash the piercing site with soap and water or a diluted saline solution (1/8 tsp of salt to 8 oz of water) twice per day, because piercing tracts can become portals or reservoirs for viruses and bacteria.
Continue antiseptic solutions applications over the area to prevent infection.
Use ice cubes and other cooling measures to hel the inflammation.
Dont use alcohol, Hibiclens® (Mölnlyke Healthcare), hydrogen peroxide, Bactine® (Bayer Healthcare), and Betadine® (Purdue Products LP) in piercing care.
If the issue is bothersome, i would suggest to get rid of the piercing meanwhile, seek a dermatologist and let them take care of the issue. In future use complete aseptic techniques of piercings which are available on many professional piercing websites.
Nutshell some topical care would suffice.
I hope it helps.Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on