Suggest treatment for red bruised lump on the shin

Dr. Mukund Savaskar

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 15 Oct 2015 in Lump
Question: I broke my tib and fib about 12 years ago- no problems since really. Recently been competing my horse and the leather boot rubbed on shin bone. Initially there was a small red mark and a small bruise feeling. Didn't think much if it... Ignored it actually. Carried on, but every time I competed (every other week) after cross country phase it got worse. So around the break area it's now red, got a lump but only painful to touch. Doesn't bother me to walk etc. I haven't ridden for 2 weeks to try to stop aggravating it but it's no better or worse?
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Friction induced red / tender bruise lump with/Under Investigation

Detailed Answer:
Brief Ans-Friction induced red / tender bruise lump with/Under Investigation

Hi,Welcome with the query to HCM.
I studied the chronological events of your query and reviewed it in context of your health concern of a red lump at the broken old site.

Based on the facts of the query,In my opinion you seem to have red lump,as you ignored the leather boot rubbing on the shin bone.

It seems that the break are and the leather boot rubbing are overlapping and hence you got long frictional trauma at the shin bone,where by the bruised area has turned in to the red lump,mostly due to traumatic cellulitis/edema of the soft tissue on the shin with the bruise and painful on touch.

As the lump has not gone worst over last 2 weeks,no cause of worry as there is no infection,but the ?hematoma/with cellulitis,which would take another 10-15 days.Later recovery seems to be due the resolving hematoma

And as the fracture occurred 12 yrs back,there seems no chance of any relation of that broken site to the red bruised lump on the shin.

Precautions/Treatment Suggested-
In this background,Still to be on the safer side,as you had old fracture-to reduce your worries-
I would suggest a Second Opinion from Orthopedic Surgeon,
Get the Check X-ray done,which would rule out any fracture mostly.
Rest-Elevation if need be ,as advised from your ortho surgeon
Cold Compresses to start with scriptfor medicines from your doctor.
Tab Chymoral x 1 week
Tab Motrin 400 mgn x 5 days
Infra-red radiation x 1 week
Antibiotics if need be,as advised from your doctor.

Impression-
Friction induced red / tender bruise lump with ?Cellulitis/?hematoma.
Ambiguity in diagnosis / cause of the red lump could be removed by Second
Opinion from Orthopedic Surgeon,who would physically examine and would treat it according to its needs.

Hope this reply would satisfy your query and would help you to plan treatment with your doctors.
Welcome for any further query in this regard.
Will appreciate you, writing excellent review feedback,to help the need visiting patients like you,at HCM services.

Keep me updated if need be.

Wishing fast recovery to you.

Good Day!!

Dr.Savaskar M.N. XXXXXXX Surgical Specialist
M.S.Genl-CVTS

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj