Suggest treatment for recurring sores on the penis and joints pain

Dr. Atishay Bukharia

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi,

I get recurring sores on my penis and very sore joints. I take nexium for GERD. I can control the sores with anti fungal creams to an extent, but they always come back. I also get jock itch that never seems to go away either. I am 58 years old
Answered by Dr. Atishay Bukharia 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Reiter syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to healthcaremagic.com and myself Dr. Atishay Bukharia would be answering your questions..

recurrent genital sore with joint pain is Classical feature of reactive Arthritis or Reiter syndrome.
Are you also having any skin lesion, oral ulcers, palmoplantar lesion.?
genital sore and joint pain can also be an independent entity, please send few good quality photographs of lesion

Hope it helps

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Atishay Bukharia 17 hours later
Thank you for responding Dr Bukharia.

I do have several other symptoms that I need to mention, number one, membranes inside my eyes have become detached, causing many floaters and causing distortions and many floaters. I also can see veins in my vision. I looked up "Reactive Arthritis" and saw one of the causes are being infected by Campylobacter bacteria. I had that specific infection once about 10 years ago after a business trip to Trinidad and Tobego.
I do get rashes from time to time, but never really thought about it being attributed to this. And yes, I also get sores in my mouth from time to time which I attributed to gum disease and dentures.
I guess my best question would be what can I do to treat this condition?

Best Regards, XXXXXXX Becker
Answered by Dr. Atishay Bukharia 32 hours later
Brief Answer:
NSAIDS is preferred treatment

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
First of all I am extremely sorry for delayed response.
Secondly as I already mentioned it is going in favour of REACTIVE ARTHRITIS. Investigation like HLA B27 and complete physical examination is required to confirm the diagnosis..
As far as the treatment is concerned it mainly depends on the grade,
In the initial stages we prefer NSAIDS like indomethacin and if not controlled by this then DMARD (Disease Modifying Anti Rheumatic Drugs ) like Methotrexate, Azathioprine and Cyclophosphamide is needed..
These are prescription medications and you can get only on prescription and dose varies according to the grade..

Hope it helps

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy