Suggest treatment for recurring sore throat
more likely viral than bacterial
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
It is likely that this infection is not related to your respiratory tract infection a few weeks prior.
Your sore throat is more likely viral than bacterial. Viral infections are responsible for 80 % to 95% of sore throats in adults.
Viral infections do not respond to antibiotics.
The small percentage that are bacterial are usually strep.
This means that your infection is likely viral rather than bacterial . If it persists beyond 2 to 3 days or is associated with a high fever then it is possible that it is bacterial and antibiotics may be needed.
Till that point the use of oral anti inflammatory pain killers (eg naproxen or ibuprofen) as well as medications for sore throats may be helpful (eg chloroseptic, diflam or covonia)
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Explanation of probable diagnoses was timely, clear and informative. The recommended course of actoin (antibiotic treatment) for the less likely diagnosis (some sort of bacterial infection, most likely strep) could be more specific, e.g., is an examination for strep necessary or is a course of Amoxicillin sufficient?
can continue the course
Sorry about the late reply
The course of the amoxicilin would be sufficient. If strep is present then this antibiotic would be able to treat it. Strep would respond to this.
You should complete the 7 day course.
Please feel free to ask anything else
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Recurring sore throat cough no improvement with medicines guidance
- What causes recurring sore throat with red bump
- Recurring sore throat temporary relief from medicines permanent cure
- Suggest treatment for recurring sore throat
- What is the cause of the recurring sore throat
- Recurring sore throat causes
- Recurring sore throat and cough
- Recurring sore throat after antibiotics
- Recurring sore throat in adults
- What is the cause and treatment for recurring sore throat