Suggest treatment for recurring sinus infection
Hello and welcome,
Some things you can do to prevent a sinus infection:
1. Corticosteroid nasal spray: Flonase is a steroid nasal spray that is now sold without prescription. It can decrease the reactivity of the nasal/sinus mucus membranes - decreases the swelling that makes the sinuses a good environment for bacteria. Will take several days to work well. Don't use it within an hour of the nettipot or other saline rinse.
2. An antihistamine: Zyrtec is a qood quality antihistamine. By decreasing the discharge in the sinuses from allergic reaction, again this makes things less hospitable for bacteria to set up shop. If you get a lot of congestion, get an antihistamine that also has pseudo ephedrine in it (Zyrtec -D; Claritin - D).
3. Make sure you have a very good quality mask, such as from a hardware store that sells them for this purpose.
4. I see you use a Netti pot, but if you are unable to use it immediately after dust exposure, get a spray bottle of Simply Saline or XXXXXXX Med and irrigate immediately after exposure.
5. Make sure to cover your hair during work on the house, and change your clothes after you are done for the day. The length of time of exposure is a factor in reactions and illness.
6. Some people benefit from increased doses of vitamin C. When you feel like you are getting a cold or infection, immediately take 1000mg vitamin C and 15 mg of zinc. This helps some people, but not others.
I hope these suggestions help and that you avoid the sinus infections!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for bronchitis and sinus infections
- Treatment of maxillary sinus infection
- Chronic sinus infection treatment
- Sinusitis infection treatment
- Suggest treatment for sinus infection
- Treatment for klebsiella sinus infection
- Suggest treatment for acute sinus infection
- Antibiotic treatment of sinus infection
- Bacterial sinus infection treatment
- Sinus infection treatment