Suggest treatment for recurring pimple on buttocks

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Yea dr i get pimples on my but and when they get big whilte puss comes out some times with blood aa well it happens when i use public toilets and sometimes even with private toilets as well pls advise
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Furuncle treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi

This is furunculosis. I guess it must be painful. If you have a recurrent issue I would suggest that you get yourself tested for blood sugar.

Boils or furuncle are actually bacterial infection of/about the hair follicles often associated with surrounding cellulitis.

If I was the treating doctor I would have advised an oral antibiotic for a week.

My choice of oral antibiotic would have been either:

Amoxycillin 500mg in combination with clavulanic acid 125 mg, thrice daily, for a week

OR

Cephalexin 500ng thrice daily

OR

Cefadroxil 500mg twice daily, for a week. This would take care of the infection.

An OTC topical antibacterial e.g 2% Mupirocin ointment, twice daily can be applied over the boils.

An OTC pain killer e.g Ibuprofen 400mg (Ibuprofen tablets) twice or thrice daily, would provide symptomatic relief from pain and swelling.

Recurrent furunculosis is also a concern in those who are carriers of staph. aureus. Staph aureus can colonize the flora of the perineal region just as it colonises the nasal flora. Therefore if recurrence is an issue, it is also advisable to use 2% mupirocin ointment, twice daily in the area of the anal opening and surrounding region to eradicate carrier state.

I hope this answers your query.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 17 hours later
thanks dr pls advise in any possible way can it affect fertility of male like can it be the cause of low sperm count and low motility
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Furunculosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi

No, it cannot affect fertility in any way, neither the condition itself nor the treatment

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 3 minutes later
thanks dr.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query at healthcaremagic