Suggest treatment for recurring palpitations and anxiety after Marijuana intake

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I had a panic attack over a month ago due to ingesting marijuana

The palputations and high heart reoccur and the anxiety comes and goes .

Why is this? I never had any of this prior eating a snall amount of marijuana.

Note: i am not a drig user abd have a family and good job. I ate this as an exeriment and thought it might be a nice exoerirnce . But i was very wrong.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The anxiety attacks most probably are not because of taking marijuana once

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your question.
I read it carefully and I understand your concern.

Marijuana and all the drugs are stimulants and they give fast heart rate and palpitations.
If you haven't used it anymore though, I don't think that the symptoms you have are related. That is because the marijuana is not anymore in your blood, so cannot stimualate your heart anymore.

So, lets treat them as anxiety attacks, unrelated to the marijuana.
See what else might have triggered them. Have you had anything changed in your life in the last 6 months that might have overstressed you? - any loss in your loved ones? A stressful job? Financial or other problems?

Sometimes the trigger cannot be identified.
My recommendations are:
- When the symptoms start, get out in the fresh air and take slow deep breaths.
- If you can start walking or running, that would be very helpful.
- Do things you enjoy at least every day: get out and meet friends, read books, pain, ect.
- Have a healthy lifestyle with a healthy diet and plenty of fluids.
- About drinks that might stimulate you like energic drinks or drinks who have caffeine.

Hope this practical advices are helpful and that I answered your question.

Let me know if you have other questions or concerns.

Dr.Papaqako
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng