Suggest treatment for recurring pain on one side of head

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I have had recurring pain in the side of my head, over my right ear but only for a second or two. Sometimes this pain originates on the left, frontal part of my head and radiates around to the aforementioned spot above my right ear (it feels like muscles are wriggling beneath the skin) and the pain is about 6 on a scale of 10. At other times the pain just occurs on the right side and lasts for a few seconds. In any case, the pain is transient and spotty. I have a partially occluded carotid artery on both sides (both about 5%) but I don't have any pains there. Any clues - this has been going on for about 2 weeks. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
TMJ

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You are describing TMJ problems. This is the joint just in front of the ear and can develop arthritis. The pain can radiate anywhere along the temporal area or into the frontal area. These are muscle spasms that can come and go.

I recommend you reduce the pressure on you TMJ like reducing gum chewing, eating foods that are easy to chew and try an NSAID

If the pain does not improve you may need to seek medical attention to determine the exact cause of your pain

I hope this answers your question. Please contact us again for any health questions or concerns.
Dr. Ronald Schubert