Suggest treatment for recurring loose motions

Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: Hello doctor .my son is of 4 months. he was recovered from loose motions after 5 days antibiotic course ( ofloxin, enterogenema, vibact). Rashes almost healed. But after 2 days now again.he is passing motions very small like a dot(muscus). Should I start medicine again
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No further medication required

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day
Dear Mr XXXXXXX

Slight mucous discharge is quite common in recovery phase following loose motion.
If the following criteria are fulfilled there is no need of further medication
1. Baby is accepting breast feeding well
2. Absence of blood in stools
3. No distension of abdomen

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Best regards
Dr Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 hours later
due to this rashes are coming again and severe redness in buttocks again. we are applying layer of siloderm after each motion pass and layer of candid on top of that. is this fine or you suggest something else?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Zinc oxide paste will be helpful

Detailed Answer:
Hi

For the treatment of diaper rash you can try the following which is very beneficial

1. Zinc oxide paste: One of the commercially available suggestion is Dr XXXXXXX Zinc oxide paste
2. Himalaya diaper rash cream
3. Keep changing the diapers regularly every 2 hours and so on after every stool.
4. Continue Siloderm ointment application till you are able to procure Dr XXXXXXX Zinc oxide paste ( it is comparatively expensive but worth the price : it will also be helpful in future )

Best regards
Dr Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 days later
Hi doctor
My baby is still having loose motions. almost little water with whitish seeds. sometimes only little water. stool test shows no problem. how long will be the recovery phase.
please advise .
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Zinc supplement will be helpful

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Greetings

Do not be worried about consistency . It will normalise in couple of days.
I would suggest you the following
1. Continue exclusive breast feeding
2. Zinc syrup : Zn 20 3 ml twice a day will be helpful.
Zinc supplement is helping in acute diarrhea in infants

Wishing him speedy recovery

Best regards
Deepak