Suggest treatment for recurring knee pain

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I'm having problems with re occurring knee pain. I've noticed it after I run. I'm running 15-20 miles a week. The pain is in the back of my knee. Should I see my doctor about this? It normally goes away after 2 or 3 days?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
there may be possibility of osteoarthritis

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I have studied your case.

According to your history there may be possibility of osteoarthritis which can be exertional or age related.
I will advise to consult your doctor and if required X ray can be done.

Precaution to be taken
Weight reduction is very important to prevent progression.
Do continue daily exercises and stretches.
Running may need to be reduced.
Diet rich in calcium and vitamin D will help to reduce progression.

VISCOSUPPLEMENTATION: Hyaluronic acid injections given into the joint (especially large joints like knee joint) in prescribed dosages will give good short term pain relief in arthritic joints ranging from 1-2 years

Physiotherapy like ultrasound and tens will help, along with knee exercises.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
If you are satisfied with answer do not forget to give rating to this answer.