Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for recurring knee pain

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5165 Questions
I'm having problems with re occurring knee pain. I've noticed it after I run. I'm running 15-20 miles a week. The pain is in the back of my knee. Should I see my doctor about this? It normally goes away after 2 or 3 days?
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
there may be possibility of osteoarthritis

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

According to your history there may be possibility of osteoarthritis which can be exertional or age related.
I will advise to consult your doctor and if required X ray can be done.

Precaution to be taken
Weight reduction is very important to prevent progression.
Do continue daily exercises and stretches.
Running may need to be reduced.
Diet rich in calcium and vitamin D will help to reduce progression.

VISCOSUPPLEMENTATION: Hyaluronic acid injections given into the joint (especially large joints like knee joint) in prescribed dosages will give good short term pain relief in arthritic joints ranging from 1-2 years

Physiotherapy like ultrasound and tens will help, along with knee exercises.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
If you are satisfied with answer do not forget to give rating to this answer.

Wishing you good health.

Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor