Suggest treatment for recurring genital herpes outbreaks

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Infections
Question: I need help. I have genital herpes. I first found out when I was 16. For the past year I have had around 15-20 outbreaks and they are very severe. Some have turned into huge ulcers. They are back to back too. I have about a 3 day window from when they clear up until they flare up again. I have broken out everywhere. My genitals, anus, eyes, tongue, and on the inside of my mouth. I take daily immune vitamins along with acyclovir, enchinacea, and lysine. I don't know what else to do. I want my life back.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Have Famciclovir (Famvir) Valacyclovir (Valtrex)

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this recurrent herpes outbreaks. I can understanding how much impact this has had on your life. Because you continue to experience several outbreaks despite taking acyclovir, I will suggest that you try new medications. At times, one works better where others fail. Acyclovir has shown not be be of any great help given the frequency and severity of your symptoms.

Talk to your doctor to try on elf the above medications that I have suggested. This might help. Also, how much of acyclovir and how often do you take it?

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 6 minutes later
I take 2 pills twice a day. I have talked to others about my symptoms and they have said that it is odd and that maybe it has something to do with my immune system. I do get sick alot. Could I possibly have an immune disorder of some kind?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A weak immune system is clearly not helpful!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for your follow up question.

If your immune system is weak, you would tend to have more outbreaks. Have you ever had your white blood cells counts? If you do, that could be a good place to start from and see if there are any clues suggestive of a possible weakened immune system. Have you ever had an HIV test done as well talking about a weak immune system?

The dosage of acyclovir is okay for persons with a good immune system. Persons with weaker immune system need higher dosages. Let’s start with your white cell counts and a rapid HIV test to see what the numbers are.

I wish you well. Feel free to talk to me as often as need maybe.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah