Suggest treatment for recurring fever in a child

Dr. Santosh Kondekar

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: HI!
I m XXXX from Kanjurmarg, I have visited ur various clinics and recently visited sushrusha hospital for my daughter XXXX 7yrs severe recurring fever, u mentioned due to less antibiotical treatment this has happened and prescribed clavam 625 for 14 days, she is perfect now, Lots of thanks for that.
Now my 1yr old son is suffering frm 101F fever and cough since today morning and we had given him 6 ml fevago twice, Now what should we do, he is 12 kgs. Please help,
Thanks in advance

Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
hi. relax. u may give extra dose of fevago.

Detailed Answer:

Sorry for late reply. Its wise to treat fever in young infants. They may need fever medicine in given dose about four times a day if fever keeps recurring.
in this season fever is either due to viral flu like respiratory disease or water contamination related gut infection.
ensure good feeding and normal urine passage these few days as fever may compromise intake of infant and may precipitate dehydration.
some serious causes of fever are likely to be missed out .. so if child doesnt show response and normal feeding and urine.. it may be a danger sign to visit major hospital.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Santosh Kondekar 40 hours later
Good evening Sir,
As per your suggestions his fever and running nose is under control from 2nd day of having fever. Lots of thanks for that.
But his coughing got increased to 4 to five times a hour. His coughing sound is like barking cough, otherwise his activity is quite normal and coughs more during feeding and less during night.
We are feeding him dal rice, cerelac etc, pls help.
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
cough after viral fevers lasts almost 6-10 days

Detailed Answer:
Such irritant coughs are common after viral fevers. If it is disturbing feeding sleep activity or is uncomfortable in character or frequency, you doctor may prescribe you a cough suppressant medicines. Cough suppressant medicines often contain dextromethorfan or chlorpheniramine, which may at times cause serious events in some kids.

If feeding is ok, you give a cold medicine or cough suppressant in your doctor prescribed doses, but try to avoid giving three times a day.

Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad