Suggest treatment for recurring cold and fever in a child

Excellent

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Hi. I have a 4 year old who was a preemie. He only spent 15 days in the NICU during which his only problems were learning to suck and regulating his body temperature. At age 2 my son started getting colds often which landed him in the hospital and he was diagnosed with asthma. (mild) At that point we were having to give him fever reducer for his infections. Tylenol and motrin both started bringing his temp down to as low as 95.4. Since then that is all tylenol and motrin does, and his temp stays low for 3 days without the tylenol or motrin. Also, we live in XXXXXXX and it does NOT stay cold in our house. I feel as if none of the doctors we have seen are taking it seriously enough. As you know, with a child they get sick often so using these is a necessity. I am worried something else could be wrong that is triggering this reaction. Can you give me any advice on what steps i should take in getting him the care and tests that he may need?
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Arun 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
check his thyroid and hemoglobin

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing to healthcare magic.
Tylenol and Motrin can bring the temperature to low.
But if it persists for 3 days as low body temperature, I would advice such patients to get their thyroid
and hemoglobin levels . If they are normal, there is no need to worry really. Do get allergy skin test for diagnosing the triggers for his asthma.
Hope I answered your query
Let me know if I could help more
Wishing him good health
Dr Arun

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for recurring cold and fever in a child 9 hours later
last night his temp got to 95.2. is there a point i should start to worry or take him to the hospital?

Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
See below

Detailed Answer:
If he is active and playful with good intake and urine output , don't worry , you ca wait to see if it improves in a day or two. If not take him to hospital .