Suggest treatment for recurring burning sensation and irritation in throat

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi Doctor,

I have been suffering from acidity and gas problems for a very long time. I had asked questions earlier as well in this forum and was asked to take Esomeprazole twice a day. However, I realized that it did not help and have been taking Esomeprazole once a day early in the morning, and taking an ayurvedic medicine for relief from gas at night. However, though I feel a little better while taking these medications, I don't see any long term benefit as when I stop any of these medicines, I start getting the problems back immediately within a day or two.

Below symptoms are observed when I stop the medicines:

1. Irritation and burning sensation in throat. This I believe is primarily due to GERD.
2. Acidity in the stomach, mainly felt as mild burning sensation, but no pain as such.
3. Burning sensation in the eyes.

I took Perinorm 10 mg (Metoclobromide Hydrochloride) yesterday twice (before breakfst and before lunch). I felt severe irritation in the eyes, and watery eyes, and drowsiness and some discomfort in the stomach (wasnt very severe but mild discomfort could be felt) when I took this tablet. I was not sure if I was taking the right tablet so I stopped taking it. But the interesting thing is that I am feeling much better today.

My question is, should I be taking Perinorm in spite of the side effects that I saw? Or should I take it just once daily during night and see if that helps me?

If not, please suggest me what medication to take to get permanent relief from these problems as these are impacting my ability to concentrate and work properly.

Just to let you know, I am also not taking too much spicy foods and have been watching my diet constantly to ensure that is not triggering any of these problems.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rishi 3 days later
Brief Answer:
Get Endoscopy and 24hr pH study done.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
After going through your history I suggest you continue Esomeprazole in morning and Perinorm at night. But dont take Perinorm for more than a few days. Only take when you feel severe symptoms.

For permanent cure do get an Upper GI Endoscopy and 24hr pH study done. You should contact a Gastroenterologist for these investigations. This study will give you a DeMeester score which will help us decide the further management in your case.

You can send me the reports and we can help you further with the management.

Take care,
Dr Rishi, New XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Rishi

General Surgeon