Suggest treatment for recurring UTI with sepsis

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 31 Mar 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: 65 year male patient suffering Urinary tract infection with sepsis.patient had also suffered with recurrent UTI in 2015 and as per KUB report - Hydronephrosis present.is the patient prone for urinary tract infection.what could be the cause for current urinary tract infection.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Recurrent UTI with residual urine can be due to Bladder Neck Obstruction

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

A 65 years old mn with history of recurrent episodes of UTI with nocturnal frequency (Nocturia) and significant Post Void Residual urine of 75 ml can be due Bladder Necck Obstruction and needs to be investigated.

Consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic
tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Serum PSA.
4) Endoscopic Examination of bladder (Cystoscopy)
5) Uroflowmetry.

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

If BNO is confirmed on cystoscopic examination he will need endoscopic surgery of Bladder Neck Incision (BNI) which will help to empty bladder completely and prevent getting UTI repeatedly

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil. .