Suggest treatment for recurrent vaginal fungal infections

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hello, I am 20 years old and I am have been doctoring since April.. and I am still not seeing any results. I have been experiencing pain when I pass urine as well as when I am having sex. the outside of my vagina is what hurts. I have been tested for STD's and Bacterial Vaginitis as well as Trichomoniasis. The tests all came back negative and only showed a little bit of yeast. My urine is cloudy as well. I have been treated for bacterial vaginitis twice with flagyl. I have been on a few different medications for the infection and I have also changed my laundry detergent and only take showers. I have been taking many precautions because I am sick of dealing with this. Any help from you would be great because this is starting to become a recurring issue that I want to get fixed! Thanks so much!
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
recurrent infections

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Re current infections can occur in some pre disposed people . First do a urine test . The cloudy appearance may be due to protein content in the urine . Make sure your blood sugar is normal results. Recurrent infections occur in diabetic people too . Reduce salt and sugar intake . I would suggest you use robotic capsules and vaginal wash for a period of 3-6 mths . Use only cotton inner wear . Wash only with plain water . No soap or lotions or perfumes .kn te genital area . Avoid intercourse for a week or two . You also need to drink at least 3 litre water daily . Check for urine infection also.
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 19 minutes later
I forgot to mention that I have had many Urine tests done and every time my urine comes back clean the doctor says. Could it maybe be a kidney infection or a bacterial infection that Is higher up? I am just in need of getting this fixed. Not only is it starting to ruin my life.. it is ruining my boyfriends life too because when he wants to have sex I have to turn him away because I am in to much pain. I appreciate your response and if you have any other ideas I would love to hear them so I can ask my family doctor. I live in a small town so there is only one doctor.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
kidney infection

Detailed Answer:
Well, if there is a kidney infection, the urine test should also show the infection.
You can however, so a ultrasound of the kidney and bladder to rule out cystitis or renal stones which may also cause pain. Another possibility is the bacterial vaginitis, which causes vaginal itching and burning(esp during urination). Start the probiotic capsules and the vaginal wash. Hopefully you will see some improvement. Do a oral course of clindamycin and metronidazole to treat any secondary infection. Drink lots of water. Avoid caffeine, sugar and salt.
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 minute later
Thanks so much for help!!!
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Happy to help.

Detailed Answer:
Happy to help.