Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
146 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for recurrent throat infection

Answered by
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :1999

Answered : 3665 Questions

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello,

I have had recurrent infections of the throat, and sinuses now..It seems like I get a new infection every month. I have had blood tests, CT scans, MRI's, biopsies of lymph nodes and I am still quite unwell. I have been told maybe LPR, maybe muscle dysphonia, and maybe allergic rhinitis. I have never had heart burn, was on PPI's for 6 months for them to do nothing, I barely talk anymore, and my allergies to dust feel much different than this. I feel like I am living in a constant state of low grade infection. What step should I take now? How do I get an appointment with an infectious disease specialist in Toronto, and do you know of any that may be good? Also, when there what should I say?? Thank you! XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
some tests may help

Detailed Answer:

the throat and voice problems can be reasonably explained by reflux. The sinuses problem cannot. Prolonged sinusitis may be caused by various pathogens but it could also be due to autoimmune disorders. Chronic sinusitis can be treated with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs.

A test to identify infectious or autoimmune disorders is ESR and CRP. A high ESR may increase the chances of an autoimmune disorder (like Wegener's granulomatosis) and increased CRP (without significantly increased ESR) may be caused by an acute infection. Other test like a complete blood count might provide helpful clues too.

I don't know how the health system works in your country but I've done some internet search and I've found that Sunnybrook health center (for example) requires referral from your doctor. So a visit to your doctor is required first before visiting the specialist. Besides that for this kind of infections (if it's an infection) any primary care doctor or an ENT specialist should be equally qualified to manage it. Too many recurrent (or new) infections in the upper respiratory tract (sinuses or other areas) may be caused by regular contact with diseased individuals (like very young children going to kindergarten) or immune defects. If such a defect is suspected by your doctor then the investigation might be left to the specialist.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Please contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Chronic sinusitis

doctor1 MD

i am suffering from chronic sinusitis since four decades. I did undergo surgery for DNS, electric cartrige, puncture during 60s. Later i used...

doctor1 MD

54yof, very healthy except for chronic sinusitis, w/current severe pansinusitis from CT scan results. poss surgery, looking at alternatives doing...

doctor1 MD

Hi had a bilateral fezz done last April for chronic sinusitis, have had nine antibiotics since as they can t clear infection. Now told I need...

doctor1 MD

Hi it has been 2 weeks since my Fess surgery on my sinuses. I am now developing a cough that is similar to what I was experiencing when I had...

doctor1 MD

Hello Sir/Mam, My self XXXXXXX XXXX and i m 29 yrs old.I m accountant by profession.from last 1 yr i m suffering from Sinus problem.I DAILY FEEL...

doctor1 MD

I recently saw an ENT doctor about my fairly constant sinus infections (something I've dealt with for years). The conclusion he came to is that I...

doctor1 MD

Hello I hope you can help me out I am a 45 yr old women I am presenting with light headed XXXXXXX yet it feels full.. I went to bed with a slight...