question-icon

Suggest treatment for recurrent sore under bottom lip

Posted on Tue, 10 May 2016
Question: I have a sore under my bottom lip keeps coming and going. Ive tried cold sore cream but hasnt helped
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Close possibility of herpes. Antiviral treatment required.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the sore over u our bottom lip occur in recurrently.

After analyzing the picture and correlating with its recurrence it appears to be related to herpes of the lip area.

Closely analyzing the picture shows multiple small excoriated areas with crusting and superficial ulceration. This makes a close possibility of herpes in the same.

In such kind of cases a test of herpes IgM and IgG is done to confirm the same.

In my patients I prefer to give antiviral treatment t with Famcyclovir 500 mg three times a day for 5 to 7 days.

An antibacterial cream such as fucidin or Mupirocin is required to take care of the secondary infection.

I suggest you to meet a doctor preferably a dermatologist for further follow up and prescribed treatment.

I hope this helps.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD - Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist