Suggest treatment for recurrent sore throat

Dr. R.A. Singh

Emergency Medicine Specialist

Posted on Thu, 18 Sep 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a repeated sore throat problem.
This time it has persisted for a month, where it subsides and then regains. The soreness is associated with thick mucous (yellow) and dry throat.
I have tried taking azithromycin and also levofloxacin which gives temporary healing sometimes.
Doctor please recommend what medication shoud I take. Please note this is a repeated problem.
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get some investigations done.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing your query.
After reading your post, I would suggest that you should get yourself clinically examined and investigated by an ENT specialist.

Following investigations may be helpful :-
1. Complete Blood Count ( CBC ).
2. Throat swab culture.
3. Sputum examination.

You can take an antihistamine like Fexofenadine 120 mg once a day along with a decongestant like phenylephrine.You can take this medication with local doctor prescription.
Antibiotic should be taken according to the reports of the throat swab culture and sputum examination.
Warm saline gargles will also have beneficial effects.

I hope this is helpful to you.
If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.
Regards. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju