Suggest treatment for recurrent sinus infections in a 7 year old child

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 14 Nov 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My 7 year old daughter has suffered from sinus issues/infections most of her life.
She has a constant thick green/brown snot build up in her nose. She has been on every antibiotic under the sun but her symptoms have never fully dissapeared. About 6 months ago she had her adenoids removed and cauterisation of some nasal polyps.
It doesnt seem to have helped at all, she constantly has thick discharge & it even affects her speech (the way she says "m" & "n" is very nasally).
In recent months there is a foul smell that comes from her nose & from the snot in the tissue. A mix between rotten foot & chlorine!
I am a nurse & can handle most things but this smell is really bad.
If I go back to the ENT speciallist, what tests should I ask them to do?
Any advice is appreciated, thanks :-)
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation and saline nasal rinse are important.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections and antibiotics are ineffective in such cases. Moreover, the sinuses have very poor blood supply and medicines can hardly reach there, thus complicating the problem further. Due to the blockages subsequent increase in the anaerobic flora occurs leading to the foul smell that you report. In such cases three things are important to be done:
* Saline nasal rinse (by syringing). Saline nasal drops are also to be used.
* Steam inhalation. Water in the form of vapor can reach deep inside and help in diluting the cough / block and thus can provide relief.
* Taking a course of metronidazole or similar agents (discuss with your doctor first).

You can feel free to visit an ENT doctor but testing will hardly help. You can ask him to check if there is any foreign body lodged, whether there are other findings like nasal polyps or deviated nasal septum etc. Blood tests would not help much but a look on the total WBC count and the differential count will indicate the absolute count of eosinophils which indiactes the degree of allergic involvement.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj