Suggest treatment for recurrent red bumps on legs, arms and buttocks
I am a 22 year old female and I have a problem with recurring red bumps mostly on my legs, arms, buttocks and head, but not face. They start as a little black dot. They get bigger and bigger (finally about 1 cm) and they fill with pus. After three days I can take out the little black dot and I can see puss underneath, but it doesn't come out for another four days. At that point it begins to come out and it leaves a hole in my skin. And it then scars. It scars whether I touch it or not, I've tried both approaches.
I first got these symptoms when I was volunteering outside of Accra, Ghana. The condition has continued now two years after I've left. I've taken all sorts of antibiotics, but they haven't seemed to work.
Can someone help me with some advice? Thank you!!!
need some details to guide you better
Thank You for contacting HCM. My name is Dr Muhammad Ali Rauf & i will look into your problem.
I have gone through your query and would try to help you in the best possible way. There could be a number of causes for your complaint. I would be in a better position to guide you anything if you answer following questions please:
1. is there any history of itching as well?
2. anyone else in the family also having this problem?
3. have you undergone culture for pus?
4. please share clear close images of the affected areas.
5. are you on any medication?
6. do you have diabetes, hypertension or any other illness?
7. any other symptom that you would like to share?
I will be looking forward for the answers to conclude the discussion in the best interest of yours.
2. No, no one else in my family has the problem. My boyfriend may have gotten one one time from me, but it hasnt reoccured with him.
3. They cut out a whole bump and tested it and said nothing conclusive came out. They did a blood test and said that my platelet count was high, suggesting infection.
4. Pictures attached. Third picture relates to #7.
5. No, I am not.
6. Not that I know of.
7. I've also been getting break outs of red bumps in my armpits, but these are not the same as the other bumps. They do not have a black dot, nor do they go through the same time cycle. I dont know why I am getting these either. I get them whether i shave my armpit or not. I almost always get them on my right side and they come in groups... :/
Most probably foliculitis
Thank you for the answers & images. I have gone through them. Most probable cause in your case could be folliculitis. If i were your treating doctor then i would have advised following things:
- amoxicilin/clavulanic acid 1g twice a day for 7 days. It is a prescription med so you might need to visit local dr to get it.
- apply fusicort (Betamethasone) cream in small amount over the rash twice a day.
- cetirizine one at night for 3 days.
Hopefully you will see improvement in 5-7 days. If condition does not resolve with this then another treatment option is to go with isotretinoin. It is also given in cases of recurrent history of similar disease. BUT before starting this we need to perform some labs including LFTs & serum lipid profile. Also that isotretinoin is teratogenic so you need to go on birth control pills till the time you are on this medication.
You can also discuss them by visiting hospital & getting an appointment for a "Consultant Dermatologist" in specific.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help if not then don't forget to close the discussion and rate it.
Wishing you good health !!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for bump on the finger joint
- Small red bumps on face suggest the treatment
- Suggest treatment for bump on leg caused after an injury
- Treatment for itchy red bumps on back of legs
- Suggest treatment for bruised bump on shin
- Cause and treatment for the bump in the leg
- Pus filled bumps on arms treatment
- Suggest treatment for bumps on my clitoris
- Reoccuring bumps on the pennis suggest treatment
- What is the treatment for huge bump in buttock