Suggest treatment for recurrent rashes throughout the body

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
My son has a rash that started on his face and has moved all over his body. We thought it might be our new fabric softener (but it’s downy free and clear). So we washed everything. We dressed him in clothes that had not been washed in the new softener but after about one hour the rash reappeared. He has been eating more sugar than normal because it’s the holidays. And we have a homeo pathic cold medicine that we have been giving him for about two weeks. Those are the only contributors we can think of. Although all of it has stopped and he still has a breakout. We bathe him in baking soda and it helped a lot. But it still reappeared. We have given him Benadryl. We have put hydrocortisone on his breakouts. What should we do? I can provide photos that I can try to attach. He's just recently getting over a cold -- still has coughing and drainage.

We tried benadryl too.
Mon, 28 May 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hives

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images.
I can see welts with a red flare surrounding.
He has Hives.
Recent cold Or perhaps homeopathic cold medicine could be a cause.
I suggest you to apply a soothing lotion e.g Calamine lotion for the rash.
In addition I suggest an oral antihistamine e.g Cetrizine syp 5mg/5ml, 1tsf, once daily, for a week.