• question-icon

Suggest treatment for recurrent mumps

Posted on Wed, 29 Oct 2014 in Infections
Question: Hello,
I'm 27 years old and i was diagnosed with mumps based on blood tests 3 weeks ago after being diagnosed with mononucleosis caused by eipstein-barr during may this year. I had mumps when i was 17 years old so this is kind of a weird situation. Meanwhile while being sick with mumps i had a bad cold, i don't know if it was the flu or not. Could that make mumps last longer? My parothid glands and submandibular glands were swollen, got back to normal, then got swollen again and they still are at this moment. Besides that, i have a pain in my throat and feel something is like sore inside, i feel a pressure in my head, i had some white spots quite painful on my tongue and inside cheek but they seem better, they are gone but the places where they were feel kind of sore still, i also feel pain in my intimate area, urethra, vulva, vagina, i don't know if all this is mump related or not but i do hope you will be able to help me out.
Thank you very much in advance,
XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
IM/ebv related relapse

Detailed Answer:
Hi Madam,
I have carefully read your query and understand your concern.

Its very unusual for relapsed mumps to present at your age with this clinical course.

Its extremely important to include infectious mononucleosis as the prime cause of relapsed parotid swelling and other symptoms in your case.

Epstein barr virus might be the cause of recurrent mumps rather than mumps virus. This virus is known to be persistent in the body causing frequent relapses. This virus can cause both severe oropharngitis. The symptoms can be widely varied being referred to head,chest, abdomen and genitalia. Inadequate treatment of EBV-IM can result in such relapses.

Treatment with drugs like gancyclovir and corticosteroids will help to prevent
relapses to a large extent.

I hope this info is helpful to you,
Post your further queries if any,
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 26 minutes later
Hello again,
I'd like to start by thanking you very much for your answer, everything that's happening is kind of upsetting actually. So the epstein barr virus is still responsible for all these? Related to the medicines recommended, do you think i can get those without a prescription? I was only prescribed a medicine with ibuprofen (i don't know if that's the right spelling in english) and another one to strenghten my immunity system. The persistent sore throat which is still going on and the lump feeling made me worry about some other things as well, for example cancer, i am a smoker since 10 years and i smoke quite a lot, didn't stop during this period either. I had a throat exam with a fiber which had a camera attached to it in july and i was told that my throat looks sore but that's about it, should i repeat that? If i continue smoking, will something like that happen to me giving the circomstances, the eipstein barr?
Thank you again,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Quit smoking

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam
Yes EBV is responsible for all of these.

The drugs which i mentioned cannot be obtained without medical prescription.

Persistent sore throat shown during the fiber optic camera examination can be due to changes of pharyngolaryngitis exacerbated by smoking overlapping the changes imposed upon by EBV.

I strongly recommend you to quit smoking as it can lead to risk of laryngeal cancer if you continue to smoke.

I advice you to have screening direct laryngoscopy on your next follow up with your doctor.This test can effectively diagnose any minor lesions at the earliest.

EBV can accelerate the smoking induced damage on laryngeal and oropharyngeal mucosa.

I hope this info is helpful to you
Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Suresh Heijebu