Suggest treatment for recurrent hernia other than Mesh repair

General Surgeon
Question
is there any thing else any other choice besides MESH
I did not mention before, I was thinking only of the hernia itself. Prior to the hernia(s). I had a hyterectomy, verticle incision the hernia was repaired with a horitzontal incision.......problems ever since.

Thanks for your attention in this matter.
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
no beside mesh, no other option

Detailed Answer:

Apart from putting mesh again, there is no other option.

Mesh repair is the gold standard, and repair of a recurrent hernia, is not possible without putting a mesh.

As you have undergone hysterectomy with a vertical incision, doing a laparoscopic surgery will be a little difficult, and open repair will be a better option for you. As there could be adhesions below the scar and will make laparoscopic repair difficult.

Disuss both these options with your surgeon before taking a final call.

Hope i have been helpful.

Dr. Ashish Verma

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for recurrent hernia other than Mesh repair 16 hours later
I am nervous about the MESH so many reports of complications, additional surgeries to repair the repair and so on...Is there some better than others. I have fought the MESH for a while..I am afraid of it on a scale of 1-10 what should my true fear be....remember as my e-mail states i am a nursegirl....i have seen alot over the years.

Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
try light weight mesh

Detailed Answer:

The complications with mesh like recurrance are not per se due to the mesh. They are due to improper fixing of it or if the patient continues to do what has caused the first hernia, or he lifts heavy weight early.

Now a days light weight mesh are available, which are equally effective than the conventional mesh with much less discomfort after the surgery. But with this too the above mentioned complications due to the faulty technique of fixation and the patient factors apply.

So its advisiable to get it done by an experieced surgeon. You being a nurse, must be knowing who is the best for the job in your area, the one having least complications. Just use your contacts.

Dr. Ashish Verma

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for recurrent hernia other than Mesh repair 17 hours later

Thanks for your support. I will keep all of this in mind as I interview surgeons.

My hernias have not been due to heavy lifting. the DX has been Two babies full term carried full and low. I am shredded above the pubis. The wrongkind of collagen. what can i do to build up the right kind of collagen pre surgery to aid in the best recovery possible? ANY IDEAS would be helpful.

Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
vitamin c and antioxidants

Detailed Answer:

For a healthy collagen production you need to eat foods rich in vitamin c and antioxidants and soy products.

Also eat dark green vegetables, red fruits and vegetables, beans, purnes, flaxseeds, etc. These all are good for the collagen to be healthy.

And rather than pre-surgery, you need to eat them more during the post-surgery period. As that is the time when collagen deposition will take place.

Dr. Ashish Verma