Suggest treatment for recurrent fungal infection

Question
Am trying to deal with my daughter's severe yeast/fungal infection which has been recurring for 8 weeks now. She has been on chloretrimazole cream alternating with diflucan (?) Over the past weeks and as of last night, she was showing signs of the yeast infection returning.
My daughter is 21, and just started a new job. It is very difficult to manage this health issue. Should I be more proactive in switching doctors at home in order to find other ways of dealing with this? Should I ask for blood work ? Will that show anything ? Is there any other drug we should be asking for ?
This is awful. I really don't know how to help her. Any thoughts ?
Thank you,

Any suggestions?
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
correct diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
Its important that the diagnosis be confirmed. Yest infection, though common, causes a thick white curdy discharge, with or without foul odour. Uusllay clotrimazole helps in the form of creams or vaginal tablets. If not, oral antifungals are given. However, other types of concurrent fungal infections may also be possible. If she hasnt been diagnosed by a doctor, then do so. She may need systemic antifungal. I may suggest clindamycin and metronidazole.

However, not all fungal infections can be treated such. So confirm the diagnosis first. Blood work will not help here since its a vaginal infetcion.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for recurrent fungal infection 18 hours later
Thank you for that information Dr. XXXXXXX My daughter's yeast infection has been confirmed by her gynecologist. And yes, she has been treating it with the cream mentioned above. It seems to neutralize it for a few days and a week later is back. I have an appointment for her on Monday afternoon to speak further with the dr. She mentioned a 5 day regimen with some drug that is applied with an application into the vagina that began with an "m" I believe. Maybe it was the metronidazole that you mentioned above.
Can you tell me if my daughter should remove all yeast products from her diet or not ? I am reading conflicting information about this and was wondering if it would help ?

Thank you,
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
antibiotic therapy

Detailed Answer:
Recurrent yeast infections may not respond to topical creams always . In such cases aggressive antibiotic therapy may be required . So yes , ifher doctor wants to start that , it's a good idea . Stopping all yeast products in her diet may help some , but it's not a permanent solution . Check her blood sugar also . Diabetic people have higher chances of recurrent yeast infection . In my opinion systemicantibiotic therapy is needed . Also use probiotics .

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for recurrent fungal infection 3 days later
Dr. XXXXXXX

The dr. has put my daughter on metronadizaole applicator for 5 days. I am hoping that this is a successful treatment. Unfortunately, XXXXXXX needs to have her bottom two wisdom teeth out next week and may need to go on antibiotics. Do you think that this is risky given the yeast infection my daughter has been batlling for 7 weeks ? If the metronadizole gets rid of the infection, do we have any reason to worry about a serious flare up ? XXXXXXX eats yogurt every day and takes acidopholus as well.

I appreciate your opinion. Thank you-
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
should not be a problem

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,

The dental surgery shouldn't be a problem in relation to the yeast infection. The metronidazole course should be completed as advised. She may be put on different antibiotics after dental surgery.

If there is s flare up of the yeast infection, it shouldn't be due to the dental problem. Continue the probiotics. Maintain hygiene. Recurrent infections may be due to other causes like blood sugar, etc.