• question-icon

Suggest treatment for recurrent folliculitis

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have been dealing with breakouts on my face and now my arms for 20 yrs. Had back surgery and had to have another cleanout surgery because it was in my incision. I use Hibiclens on the sites and put Mupirocin ointment (2%) on the sites and in my nose. Sometimes it gets a little better, but never goes away. The sores are painful at times, almost like a fever blister pain. I would really appreciate any information you could offer. XXXXXXX Mayabb ( YYYY@YYYY )
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Recurrent folliculitis, go for lab tests,tab rifampicin & mupirocin cream

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic
According to your complaints it seems you are having recurrent folliculitis which is inflammation of the hair follicles.
It is common in persons with diabetes, iron deficiency anemia and persons having bacteria in carriage sites.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to get the following tests like fasting blood sugar, haemoglobin, serum ferritin levels.
Also to eliminate the bacteria from carriage sites , take antibiotic like tablet rifampicin 600 mg once daily for 2-3 weeks and apply topical antibiotic like mupirocin cream in the nostrils, external ears, finger and toe web spaces, umblicus, axilla and perianal area for 2-3 weeks.
Rifampicin is a prescription drug and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
This should help in resolving your problem.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist