Suggest treatment for recurrent follicular cystitis

Dr. V. Sasanka

Urologist

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Iam a 71 yo female ,long history of chronic cystitis. In 2007 had a biopsy done during cytoscopy. Tiny pimple (only one) biopsy done. Path report states lesion consistent with chronic cystitis. 2nd cystoscopy on 3 July this year showed similar lesions.Today 6 Aug day surgery to do biopsy on lesion,and no lesion seen!!! Is it possible for some thing like this to come and go? By the way during the cystos when lesions were seen I was awake and saw them! XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be severe

Detailed Answer:
What you have described is not an unusual condition. We do see many patients , especially females, who have recurrent episodes of urinary infections. When we do a cystoscopy, we find lesions which you have described as pimples. We call them follicles and the trchnical term for this is follicular cystitis. We do a biopsy to exclude a more specific condition such as tuberculosis but more often this is non specific.
This can disappear once the infection has been treated, usually with a course of low dose antibiotics at bedtime for two to three months, but can reappear if the infection recurs.
If you are not on antibiotics I suggest you ask your treating Urologist or physician to prescribe some like Nitrofurantoin which is usually good for this disease entity.
Hope I have been if help.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. V. Sasanka 13 hours later
Thank you so much Dr. Your answer has really set my mind at ease. As I posted I have been taking Macrodantin/Nitrofurtoin daily since 2007. And this medicine has made my life better. Thanks again for your help.
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:

You are welcome. You can please close and the rate the query.

Regards.