Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

155 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for recurrent fever in a child

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3526 Questions
My daughter is 4 Yrs old. She was down with viral fever a month back. The fever ran for some 10 days before she got back to Normal.
Ever since she has been catching one infection after another. Lately for the last week or so, her underarm temperature reading is at 98.6 F. So that should make her body temp - 99.6 F. Is this normal? Or is this low grade fever? If this is fever, why is this persistent? Why does not, her reading settle down at 97.6 F (normal)
Does this indicate any serious underlying illness?

Other Specifics - We did a blood test when she was down with viral fever. The test returned nothing serious but for a low RBC and a low hematocrit. The doctor we consult prescribed her iron supplement and that was it. Can you help me?
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking once again on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Let me assure you that I find nothing abnormal in what you have described. A armpit temperature of 98.6°F is absolutely normal and does not translate to low grade fever. Since it is already in the normal range, it need not give a lower recording. You are trying to project the core temperature but you need not bother to do that. The core temperature in each case is a degree higher but the baseline (normal) is also a degree higher.

It does not indicate any underlying illness. Apart from the iron supplementation for the anemia nothing else needs to be done.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now