Suggest treatment for recurrent cold and cough

Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: i have been continously suffering from cough from manys days,this is not happening first time ,it always happens in 2 months,i have problem of cold n cough even if i dnt have anything cold,i am taking medicines as prescribed by my family doctor
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
CAN BE ALLERGY

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and thanks for using healthcaremagic,

Recurrent colds and cough can be due to allergy.

Recurrent colds can be due allergy in the nose.

Allergy in the nose can predispose a person to recurrent upper respiratory tract infections and subsequent coughing. Recurrent cough can also be due to allergies in the lung.

Please see an ENT specialist to rule out allergies. Allergies can controlled very easily with tablets and sprays.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 3 hours later
I dont think there is any allergies in lungs,bcoz last year i had gone thru Chest X ray & CT Scan and all reports were normal.can you suggest some home remedies to reduce this allergy.Also please advise at prsent what can i do reduce my cough as i am taking medicines from past few days.
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
COUGH SUPPRESSANTS

Detailed Answer:
Allergies cannot be diagnosed by chest xray or ct scan.
Spirometry and blood tests can detect allergies in the lung.

Sadly there are no home remedies for allergies.

For cough you will need a cough suppressant like dextromethorphan. Please see a doctor for a prescription.

Follow some general measures like-
1) Drink plenty of warm fluids.
2) Avoid cold foods and drinks.
3) Avoid air conditioning.
4) Give your voice some rest. Do not scream or whisper.
5) Do steam inhalation 4 times per day.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj