Suggest treatment for recurrent cold and cough in a child

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 11 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: My daughter is 5yrs n 3 months old. She is suffering from regular cough n cold problem. She was given Romilast for one month in December. After that we stopped using medicine. Now from last week she suffers from severe cough and cold. Airway reactive decease was diagnosed. We want to confirm that whether these sign are of asthma as doctor has started levolin and budecort inhalers. Also is it safe to use these inhalers??
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Safe and effective.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such reactive airway diseases are due to viral infections and irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in a week or so. Romilast is effective and may be started again when felt necessary. Levolin and Budecort are safe and effective and need to be given. It does not necessarily mean that the child has asthma. Most often such episodes come down with increase in age.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 46 hours later
How long should we use levolin and beducort inhalers . Does it effect the growth of child? Any precaution in diet while using inhalers??? Any alternate treatment of allergy ?
Brief Answer:
Would not harm

Detailed Answer:
It should be used only till the requirement persists. It would not affect the growth of the child. No dietary precautions. Instead of romilast you can give cetirizine but romilast is a better alternative.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 22 hours later
To my understanding levolin and budecort inhalers are used when one is suffering from asthma. But as you said that these sign may not be of asthma then why doctor has advice to give these inhalers.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explanation provided.

Detailed Answer:
Asthma is characterized by bronchocontriction. Incidentally the allergic component of viral infections can also give rise to bronchoconstriction. Levolin is a bronchodilator which therefore helps in both the conditions. Budecort helps in reducing the signs of immunity and stabilizing the situation in both the cases.

I hope that to be explanatory. Feel free to write back in case of further queries.