Suggest treatment for recurrent chlamydia infection

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi I've been battling chlamydia for about a year now and I can't seem to get rid of it, I took antibiotics before and it goes away for a while but seems to always come back even without sex, I was wondering if there is anything I can take or do to cure it once and for all?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get a culture!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this recurrent chlamydia infection. Chlamydia is strictly a sexually transmitted infection. This means that reinfection without sex most likely indicates that the initial infection was not fully eradicated. The cause could be that you didn't take the drugs correctly(duration, timing, etc.) or that the drugs used are unable to kill the germ(resistance).

I will recommend that you get a culture. This will isolate the germ and testing would identify the best antibiotic that can eradicate the germ. This would be prescribed for a sufficient duration to make sure that the infection is well controlled. I will also recommend testing after treatment to confirm eradication.

What tests are being used for this diagnosis? If they are serologic tests, please the interpretation is tricky and I may suspect foul pay some where. Let me hear you out on this.

I hope this helps. I wish you well and thanks for trusting us with your XXXXXXX worries. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 6 minutes later
what is a culture?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:
A culture is done by obtaining a sample from the vaginal and putting in a favorable milieu for germs present to grow. After some days, it is examined t o see whether any germs have grown and if s what germ(s). Then are then tested with various antibiotics to identify which can kill them and which cannot.

I hope this addresses your question and is explicit enough.

Let me know if it is enough or needs more explaining paraphrasing!
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 7 minutes later
what is the most successful cure for a longtime chlamydia carrier?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:
Drugs commonly used are doxycycline and azithromycin.

I would advice that you get a culture so that we can confirm the diagnosis and know that we are treating the right condition and with the right medication. I hope we are not treating as chlamydia of which it is something else!

Also, all current sexual partners need to be treated at the same time. Condom use prevents the transmission and reinfection with chlamydia.

I hope this helps.