• question-icon

Suggest treatment for recurrent antibiotic resistent gum inflammation?

Posted on Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have recurrent antibiotic resistent gum inflammation and disease. I take warfarin as I have a right left shunt in my atrium. I have had previous open heart surgery. I wonder if I could suggest steroid treatment or high treatment to try and heal the gums while on warfarin.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that it is not advisable to you to go for steroid treatment because considering your whole clinical scenario it can lead to increased risk of infection as there is already gum inflammation going on . In my opinion it is not recommended but you should follow your doctors advise because he remains the best judge of the situation as he has examined you . Take care. Dr. Shruti
Follow up: Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 14 minutes later
What about HGH? I have had 7 sets of anti biotics. That caused other problems. We have used salt water rinses and ice pacs and direct injections into the sores. But still having pain. Do you have no recommendations at all.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Thank you for reverting back . HGH has got so many healing reports but none of them is proved and hence it may be beneficial but cannot be said with surity . Other things like collagen graft are also used . Gum lesions are recurrent maximum of the times so it may lead a long time to heal as it is a very sensitive area . Mouth hygeine is the most important thing which can be curative . I would advise you to avoid excessive treatment and let the lesion heal by itself , antibiotics will work only when there is source of infection . Dr. Shruti
Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist