• question-icon

Suggest treatment for rectovaginal fistula

Posted on Wed, 13 Jul 2016 in Women's Health
Question: hi lately i have been passing wind through the vagina and leaking poo on my underwear
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
rectovaginal fistula.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to HCM,
The fact that you are passing smelly wing and poo through vagina indicates that you may have developed a recto-vaginal fistula and that needs to be confirmed with a CT SCAN with contrast and a per speculum examination by a gyn-urologist. please seek appointment with a gynecologist soon. The only treatment is surgical repair.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 26 minutes later
hi i struggle with getting examined with abuse history any thing you could recommend that would make it easier?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
lignocaine jelly for local application

Detailed Answer:
Hello ,
In that case you need a CT SCAN with contrast to identify the fistula but a local examination shall be required to exactly pin point the location of the fistulous tract over the posterior vaginal wall. You may use lignocaine jelly for lubricating the vaginal walls prior to examination and infact you can mention it to your doctor, this shall avoid any pain associated.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist