Suggest treatment for rectovaginal fistula in an elderly person suffering for dementia

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Mother is ninety one years old, has dementia. Her doctor diagnosed condition of rectovaginal fistula. We read the symptoms and most match her condition. Because she is weak, unable to get out of bed (fall risk) , any surgery is not an option at this point.
We want to find out what a patient with this condition has a life expectancy of? Without surgery, will this condition progressively worsen, tissue infections? Could infection(s) spread throughout her body?
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Infections not common but poor quality of life!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about what your mother is experiencing. The fistula will not cause infections as it will soon get adapted as a passage. However, the mere fact that feces will find its way into the vaginal is a terrible experience and will require daily vaginal douches. For sure, thesis going to be very difficult for her and her loved ones.

IN all, infections are not a major concern. Greatest fear is poor quality of life and the trauma to her and her loved one.

I hope this helps. I wish your mother well and thanks for using our services. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.