Suggest treatment for rectal prolapse

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have rectal prolase from child birth and want to know if there's any kind of surgery that's not major to treat it like with lasers?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Perineal approach...

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

I am sorry for the situation you are in.

Rectal prolapse treatment will be based on:
- age of patient
- severity of symptoms
- other underlying diseases or conditions

The non major surgical procedure is called "perineal approach". It carries less risks and higher chances for reoccurrence. Once again, it will all depend on the severity of clinical symptoms, and if prolapse is partial or complete.

Other approaches are advised including:
- not to strain during passing bowel movement
- avoid constipation
- Kegel's exercise (to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles)

All the best! Let me know if anything unclear!
Dr.Klerida
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 6 minutes later
Thank you.

What is perineal approach? Which type of specialist is the most experienced in dealing with my problem and treatment options?

Thanks,XXXX
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 40 hours later
Brief Answer:
Surgical procedure...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back XXXXXXX

The perineal approach is a surgical procedure to repair the rectal prolapse.

The specialist you need to see is called "Proctologist". After physical examination, he/she will decide the best surgical procedure for you.

All the best!
Dr.Klerida