Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

189 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for rectal prolapse

Answered by
Dr. Klerida Shehu


Practicing since :2006

Answered : 2231 Questions

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have rectal prolase from child birth and want to know if there's any kind of surgery that's not major to treat it like with lasers?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Perineal approach...

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

I am sorry for the situation you are in.

Rectal prolapse treatment will be based on:
- age of patient
- severity of symptoms
- other underlying diseases or conditions

The non major surgical procedure is called "perineal approach". It carries less risks and higher chances for reoccurrence. Once again, it will all depend on the severity of clinical symptoms, and if prolapse is partial or complete.

Other approaches are advised including:
- not to strain during passing bowel movement
- avoid constipation
- Kegel's exercise (to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles)

All the best! Let me know if anything unclear!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 6 minutes later
Thank you.

What is perineal approach? Which type of specialist is the most experienced in dealing with my problem and treatment options?

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 40 hours later
Brief Answer:
Surgical procedure...

Detailed Answer:

The perineal approach is a surgical procedure to repair the rectal prolapse.

The specialist you need to see is called "Proctologist". After physical examination, he/she will decide the best surgical procedure for you.

All the best!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Pelvic floor

doctor1 MD

I ve been suffering for three years with constipation bloating and cramps I was diagnosed with pelvic floor dysfunction and did eight months of biofeedback therapy at this point I am able to expel a 50 mL balloon and my stance more per test came back okay so my doctor said there s no need for an ileostomy but I am still suffering every day . Sometimes I can pass stool normally without laxative but I can hardly have a pass gas on my own but I m getting an opposition I don t understand want to Gaston come out I have no appetite and I could barely sleep at night somebody please help

doctor1 MD

I am 10 months status post robotic hysterectomy. I have excruciating pain with intercourse in the lower pelvic area. This pain lasts up to 24 -48 hours post intercourse with lessening intensity. I have been undergoing pelvic floor physical therapy with no relief. Any suggestions?

doctor1 MD

What reasons might cause a 65 year man to have problems with a penis that continually ascends back into m abdomen.

doctor1 MD

I always feel abdominal cramps and like I’m in my period and when I bend I feel like something is coming out from my vaginal area?

doctor1 MD

hi Dr.Sam, I brought some aquaflex to do pelvic exercise as my fiance cannot feel while we doing sex. I dont have kids at all never get pregnant. and one time i try to put on and i couldn t locate my pelvic area i put in a wrong way and i got bleed i probably do in my stomach muscle so i stop now for aweek Just confused where to put the pelvic exerciser inside to get effective result. i dont know how as the vagina have two holes. as i follow the instruction but still couldnt locate where it is.

doctor1 MD

Question stated on first page. What else can I do to relieve pressures and allow easier urination? As I stated am taking radiation for prostate cancer ( 28 treatments so far with 16 remaining). Taking Finasyeride 5mg, hydrochloride 25 mg twice...

doctor1 MD

Ihave well-defined fairly large cavity in the left para-rectal region of the ischio-rectalfossa,reaching as up as the pelvic floor muscles. the cavityhas two communication one witha curved fistulous inter-sphincteric track connecting the cavity to the rectum, and the other directed posterioly till the inter-gluteal cleft