Suggest treatment for rectal cancer

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Mon, 25 Sep 2017 in General Health
Question: My husband has rectal cancer. It has been decided that he can't have surgery, because of COPD and other problems.What options are there for him. He is 85.c
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Options are chemotherapy, radiotherapy, or to let it be

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I am sorry to know about your husband's ailment. However, could you please upload the medical notes which summarize the extent of tumor involvement. Also mention if a histopathological report is available (the one that can say what sort of cancer it is). Based on that chemotherapy or radiotherapy can be attempted.

Let me put the harsh facts before you. Once a cancer spreads (locally, to the lymph nodes, or distant) there is nothing that can be done and it is only a matter of time. In light of his condition you have taken a good decision in not opting for surgery. But in that case, ask yourself if you really need to go for steps that could prolong his life only slightly but would bring down the quality of life quite drastically. You would have to decide about the further course accordingly. In other words, you can simply let it be or you can give it a lost fight.

Let me know if I could help further.