Suggest treatment for rectal bleeding and abdominal bloating

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Breast Cancer
Question: Actually yes. I am a 60 year old woman. I am a 2 time breast cancer survivor and was diagnosed with congestive heart failure last summer. Several months ago I began to have lower back pain on my left side. This was sometimes accompanied by pain in my lower left abdomen that sometimes radiates around to my side. My internist ordered x-rays which showed nothing. She did say I had a lot of stool in my colon and was told to take laxatives until my colon was cleansed.
I followed her recommendations and began taking Phillips milk of magnesia by pill and some stool softener. I have had to continue with the stool softener as I have had some constipation.
This morning I was awakened by some pain and cramping in my abdomen. After 3+ hours in the bathroom I took 2 anti-diarrhea pills and again one an hour later. Since that time I have had cramping and bloating in my abdomen which results in blood coming out of rectum each time. The cramping has been rather harsh but I am quite concerned.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Per rectal bleed, likely hard stools / constipation. Needs evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Abdominal crampings with blood in stools and history of constipation mostly go in favour of haemorrhoids. But other possibilities need to be sorted out too like anal fissure, prolapse, diverticulitis, rectal ulcers, inflammatory bowel diseases like crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis, some polyp or God forbid some sinister cause like malignancy.

Nut shell revery per rectal bleed needs evaluation so you get some too. talk to a doctor, let them do a per rectal exam and sort out the cause of it. It will likely come out to be a hard impacted stool due to constipation with or with out haemorrhoid or anal fissure.

You need diet and lifestyle modifications, more fluids intake and more fiber, addition of laxatives and small frequent meals instead of few larges ones to avoid bloating.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Khan