• question-icon

Suggest treatment for rashes when diagnosed with shingles

Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: Was diagnosed w/shingles mid May, was prescribed antivirals and prednisone. Had shingles shot last year, and this was considered a mild case. Played outside on Saturday, in XXXXXXX The rash reoccurred. Should I start on antivirals again and is this a relapse?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Upload an image of this rash for review!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for contacting us at healthcare magic.

I have reviewed this information fully. To determine whether you need antivirals or not, I will need to take a look at this rash. The spread and nature would be guiding towards making this decision.

To upload an image, simply click on the link to upload a file and follow the instructions. If this proves difficult, please send the image by mail to YYYY@YYYY and request that the image should be uploaded to your query.

I do promise to get back to you with more insights and helpful recommendations as soon as the requested information gets here.

Waiting...
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 3 minutes later
i don't know how to do this....therefore, am not happy with the result...
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I will rather go on the precautionary side!

Detailed Answer:

Am sorry you find it difficult to upload an image. I will rather treat than allow a shingle rash that needs treatment to go untreated. I recommend acyclovir, 200mg every 6hours for 5days. It is best when started early.

If you have this at home, go head and start taking it. If you don't, you will need to ask your doctor for a refill so as to be able to follow through with this plan.

I hope this guides and helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Dr. Ivo Ditah