Suggest treatment for rashes on the thighs and under the breasts

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: LOST 30 POUNDS, WAS ON VACATION in HAITI AND COSTA MAY WATERS, DEVLOPED RASH ON THIGH, UNDER BOTH BREAST, ON THIGH, LOWER BACK. CULTURE PERFORMED ON THIGH, CAME BACK WITH SOME SORT OF DERMATITIS. STILL LOSING WEIGHT. HAD CARPEL TUNNEL BOTH HANDS AND SURGERY ON KNEE GIVEN PERCOSET FOR BOTH. STILLING LOSING WEIGHT. 121 LBS. HAD SCAN OF STOMACH, FULL BONE SCAN, BONE SCAN, CEA NORMAL, THYROID NORMAL, PARASITE NORMAL, ENDOSCOPY NORMAL, COLONOSCOPY NORMAL, TINY POLYP REMOVED, HAVE A HERNIA UPPER STOMACH. I EAT BUT APPETITE NOT THE SAME BEFORE TAKING PERCOSET. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO. WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Look into a PET scan and also substitute the percocet

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. The first thing I would like to comment on is the persistent loss in appetite which is the only reason I can see from your query for the weight loss.

As this is a side effect of the percocet I do recommend a revisit to your prescribing doctor so he/she can prescribe a substitute medication to help with your pain (the reason for the percocet), this is the first step towards addressing the extreme weight loss.

The next step would be a full body PET scan to look for any other causes for weight loss, from your query it looks like your doctors have looked for specific parts, and in such cases if the weight loss is persistent then a full body PET scan should be recommended. Although, I should let you know that the scan is rare expensive so please look into your insurance coverage.

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
I failed to mention this started two and one half years ago. I am no longer taking Percoset. But the rash is still there. It doesn't go away. Also, lately I have been getting bags under the eyes as if I am allergic to something. I do not have any allergies. My mouth is very dry in the mornings with a lot of mucous in the back of my throat.

I will speak with my doctor and request a full PET scan. I read, that there are bacteria in the blood that cannot be detected under a microscope. What is this bacteria?
Brief Answer:
Then we need to first go ahead with the PET scan and then further from thr

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again.

So the percocet effect cannot last this long, and so we need to check your entire body for causes.

As for the bags under the eyes, it can be due to fluid retention as well which can indicate some abnormality with the kidneys as well, but this could be secondary or primary. Speak to your doctor about any other areas of fluid retention as well.

The PET scan needs to be conducted as we will be only wasting more time and money looking at one place at a time, instead the PET can look all over.

Please write to me and keep me updated, I only wish I were there to help further, and ponder over your case for longer with all your records.

Best wishes.