• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for rashes on the hand

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: My wife has rashes on her hand as attached in the image.

She has this issue from past 2 to 3 years. We have shown it to Dermatologist and even the allergy tests are done which came normal. We have a 1.2 year old daughter now and these rashes were even there during her pregnancy.

During her pregnancy it was in her right hand but now it is shifted to left hand. Now her right hand is clear. Doctor told it could because of Eczema and asked her to apply Desonide.

As she is breast feeding now, she is not taking any medicine and applying creams to that area and sometimes it is more itching and irritable to her.

Please advise on the reason for these rashes and solution for it. Please note that she is breastfeeding.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eczematous dermatitis. Topical potent steroid cream and Oral antihistamine

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to me.

I am Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have viewed the Image.
I can see dry, scaly/ crusted patch of skin. This seems like a patch of Eczematous dermatitis. Eczematous dermatitis is more common during pregnanc, particularly in those with an underlying allergic predisposition i.e atopy
For her skin condition, she must use a moisturizing cream, regularly e.g either Venusia XXXXXXX cream or Amylac cream, twice daily.
In addition I suggest her to use a potent topical steroid e.g either Halobetasol propionate 0.05% (Halovate F cream) Or Clobetasol propionate 0.05% (Tenovate - Gn cream), twice daily for 2 weeks. She may use either of these cream after applying the moisturizer.
Desowen cream is a very mild topical steroid cream and unlikely to provide much relief to her.
She may also take a tablet of an Oral antihistamine i.e Levocetrizine 10mg (Teczine 10), once daily in evening. It is safe during breast feeding.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Kakkar S.


Practicing since :2002

Answered : 8980 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Halobetasol

doctor1 MD

Dear Doctor,

Mine 31 years old male. There is oil reaction whenever i apply any oil/greasy material over my head.

there is always itching and...

doctor1 MD

I m 91 years old and have lost my sense of taste. I take a lot of drugs; e.g., sinemet, metropol, midodrine, cerofolin, atorvastin, zinc,iron, et...

doctor1 MD

Hi, l had skin itching on left leg since last 5 years ... Recently I came to know it's related to psoriasis ... I am worrying on this please...

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, I have a small patch of hair loss on my left bottom of scalp . I think it is Alopecia Areata . I had same symptom few years back and had...

doctor1 MD

i m from india. I suffering with itching in internal part of penis and foul, rotten like smell in penis since 1 year. penis has gone pink...

doctor1 MD

i have been diagonised as having lichen planus,by a dermatologist and he had prescribed a topical

steroid cream called as Halobetasol...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

167 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Kakkar S.
  • Q - Suggest treatment for thinning of skin

  • Q - Is boil inside nose folliculitis a cause for concern?

  • Q - What casues allergic skin rash?

  • Q - How to diagnose herepes type 2?

  • Q - What causes white pimples in vagina?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for headache, acne and weight gain

  • Q - Suggest treatment for dandruff and red spot on scalp

  • Q - What causes non itchy eruption on penis?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for itching acne on hand

  • Q - Suggest treatment for itching sensation all over body