• question-icon

Suggest treatment for rashes on the hand

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: My wife has rashes on her hand as attached in the image.

She has this issue from past 2 to 3 years. We have shown it to Dermatologist and even the allergy tests are done which came normal. We have a 1.2 year old daughter now and these rashes were even there during her pregnancy.

During her pregnancy it was in her right hand but now it is shifted to left hand. Now her right hand is clear. Doctor told it could because of Eczema and asked her to apply Desonide.

As she is breast feeding now, she is not taking any medicine and applying creams to that area and sometimes it is more itching and irritable to her.

Please advise on the reason for these rashes and solution for it. Please note that she is breastfeeding.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eczematous dermatitis. Topical potent steroid cream and Oral antihistamine

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to me.

I am Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have viewed the Image.
I can see dry, scaly/ crusted patch of skin. This seems like a patch of Eczematous dermatitis. Eczematous dermatitis is more common during pregnanc, particularly in those with an underlying allergic predisposition i.e atopy
For her skin condition, she must use a moisturizing cream, regularly e.g either Venusia XXXXXXX cream or Amylac cream, twice daily.
In addition I suggest her to use a potent topical steroid e.g either Halobetasol propionate 0.05% (Halovate F cream) Or Clobetasol propionate 0.05% (Tenovate - Gn cream), twice daily for 2 weeks. She may use either of these cream after applying the moisturizer.
Desowen cream is a very mild topical steroid cream and unlikely to provide much relief to her.
She may also take a tablet of an Oral antihistamine i.e Levocetrizine 10mg (Teczine 10), once daily in evening. It is safe during breast feeding.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist