• question-icon

Suggest treatment for rashes on the face

Posted on Wed, 2 Aug 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My daughter is 22. She has been getting generalized hive type rash mostly to face, torso and back intermittently last 3weeks. She has been seen in the ER 4x times in last 3weeks. She is given IV corticosteroids when there and sx's improve. She is sent home and hives return within a few days. We have changed diet to fruit, vegetables and meats only - prepared at home. We have washed all clothes and linens. She has tried staying at a different house for a few days. She is on prednisone 40mg, three different antihistamines and sx's improve, but do not completely resolve.

She is also now having joint pain - worse in her hips.

I have uploaded most recent pictures, taken 24hours ago

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
THis is an allergy. Idenifying the cause is the most important thing to do!

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed her images attached. This is typical of an allergy. The main stay of treatment is identifying and eliminating from her. I am not sure what the exact cause is. This will require that every product be scrutinized as a possible cause. Withdrawing one at a time can help. If this is not helping, she can see an allergy specialist to test her for common allergens in the environment.

For now, continuing on prednisone is very important for symptoms control. As we continue and identify the cause, she will progressively get off it. Discuss the possibility of a referral to an allergy specialist with her doctors.

I hope this guides and helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 8 minutes later
She already has an allergist that she has seen for several years. She had allergy testing for environmental allergies several years ago. She saw him again last week and he recommends allergy testing for foods, but cannot perform this testing until her sx's resolve, but her sx's seem to be getting worse.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medications will help control the symptoms and allow for testing!

Detailed Answer:

Medications will control the ongoing flare. Thereafter, the tests would be done. There is really no way around but waiting for her to get better. If symptoms persist, we can add Zyrtec for more relief and control.

Keep me posted. I wish your daughter a speedy recovery.
Dr. Ivo Ditah